Thursday 4 August 2011

Missing the train in Delhi

I had bought tickets from New Delhi to Dehra Dun in northern India, and I arrived at the station with, what I thought, was plenty of time to board the train. However the train station turned out to be enormous and I couldn't work out what platform I should be taking. I can't remember now how I eventually worked it out, whether it was through understanding the train station layout or frantically asking many people for help, but I arrived on the platform, only to see, as I approached, the train starting to pull away.

I stood, completely disheartened, staring at the departing train. What would I do now? This would really mess up my trip, I didn't even know when the next possible train I could take would be.

Suddenly I realised that some of the train guards who where standing in the doorway of the train were calling me and motioning that I should run. I realised the train was still moving very slowly so I ran towards the train, and they helped me lift my luggage into the carriage and jump on board!

No comments:

Post a Comment