Thursday 11 August 2011

That passport doesn't look right

One year I was on my way to the airport for my Christmas holiday back in South Africa. It was the 22nd of December and I had heard on the radio earlier that the traffic was the busiest that day for the whole year, so I decided that I would take the train into the centre  and then take the Heathrow express to the airport (I think there was some problem with the Underground Piccadilly Line because I think I was avoiding that).

Half way into London I rechecked my bags for the most important items. Wallet, check, passport, check.... hang-on, why does it have a little triangle cut off the corner??? Arrrgghhh, I'd picked up the old expired passport by mistake!! From having a comfortable amount of time to get to the plane I was now wondering if I could make my flight at all.

The next station was Vauxhall so I jumped out and ran to find the taxi rank. Unfortunately there is no taxi rank at Vauxhall station so I was advised the best I could do was go outside the station and thumb down a taxi in the road. After what seemed like an age I eventually got a taxi and instructed it to head back to my home. This took forever, but eventually we got back, I asked the taxi to wait, ran inside, frantically searched the house - eventually found the real passport, under something on top of a bookcase - ran back and asked the taxi driver to take me straight to the airport.

We gradually made our way towards London's Heathrow airport, with the traffic getting heavier all the time. In addition there was heavy fog that did not help the situation. One thing that almost certainly made the difference between arriving in time for the flight or not was the fact that taxis are allowed to use the bus lanes in London, allowing us to avoid some of the worst queues.

We eventually arrived with 1.5 hours before the flight, so my fears of missing my holiday did not come to pass, but with a £90 taxi bill! (which was enormous, but fairly cheap compared to buying a new ticket to Cape Town)

Oh and then the flight was delayed by 2 hours because of the fog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment